Page 1 of 8 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#127 - 04/02/08 09:54 PM Rendezvous 2008
D'Arcy Offline
addict

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Im posting some Rendezvous 2008 thoughts for discussion. I figured maybe we need a separate post for this topic.

If you have an interest in the Sandpiper Rendezvous 2008 I would greatly appreciate your comments. Even if you cant make it this year, Id still be interested in your thoughts.

A few of us have been talking and have come up with a few Rendezvous suggestions. We were thinking of having our illustrious event on the weekend after the August long weekend. That would mean arrival on Friday August 8, Setting off on Saturday August 9th, and finishing off Sunday the 10th.

1) Niagara on the Lake
We would moor Friday at the Niagara on the Lake Yacht Club. They have launching and parking facilities. Besides the main clubhouse, they have a nice boat shed area that has barbeques, etc. Saturday morning we would set sail for Port Dalhousie. We would sail up the old canal area and tie up at either a marina dock or their yacht club docks. There are several locations to tie up. Some are quite private and away from the town. Others are closer to the historic district, which has some nice restaurants, etc.

Port Dalhousie also has a nice beach that we could anchor off of and swim. On Sunday we would head back to Niagara on the Lake. Back at Niagara on the Lake we would tie up and have a group dinner at one of the many fine restaurants. My personal favorite is the Angel Inn.

Around this basic itinerary we could also organize racing or other fun events. Maybe even a winery tour Saturday evening. Many offer van taxi service.

The area has got stunning architecture and nice docking facilities. I see two possible negatives. If the wind really blew up from the north, Lake Ontario would be wild. There are not too many protected areas. Some of my friends have even had miserable nights moored at the yacht club. The incoming wind mixing with the strong Niagara River current sets up some interesting standing wave action.

2) Toronto Centre Island
Boats would be launched at the RCYC City dock at the foot of Sherbourne. We would park our cars and trailers there for the weekend. We would sail over to Queen City Yacht Club and spend the night there. Queen City has great facilities.

Saturday morning we would head off to sail around the islands. The islands have excellent beaches on the southern side. After circumnavigating the islands we would spend Saturday evening moored in one of the beautiful back lagoons of Centre Island. There are some nice areas where only boats like Sandpipers can go. Sunday would be spent casually racing in the harbour then back to Queen City for dinner. We could also have dinner at a marvelous restaurant a short walk from the club. Their patio is spectacular.

The island community is also having their festival of light celebration so there will be beer tents, bingo at the Community Centre and the amazing gas fire displays

The Toronto Islands are unique in that they are a small tranquil cottage community without cars, but they have an amazing view of my favorite city. The harbour offers protection. Its only down side is that if youre use to secluded lakes the water traffic might seem intense. Youd see some spectacular boats though. We could even drop in to my own yacht club.

3) Prince Edward County
I talked briefly with the Prince Edward County Tourist people at the boat show who just happened to be catamaran sailors. They gave me a few suggestions.

Launch on Friday in the Town of Picton or Prince Edward Bay and spend the evening there. Both these areas are in protected areas so we could sail in the Adolphus Reach area or Prince Edward Bay. Spend Saturday night in Prince Edward Bay. Picton has some fine restaurants that offer pub style food suitable for our Sunday night dinner.

Sand Banks Provincial Park is another beautiful area worth considering but has the disadvantage of being on the weather side of the County. A strong westerly making waves over a hundred miles of Lake Ontario would make for some rough sailing.

So, there you have it. If you want me to develop the program for any one of these locations or any other areas you might like, let me know. I think all the above locations would make excellent Rendezvous venues either this year or in years to come. We should probably start setting up marina or yacht club locations fairly soon.

Im looking forward to your comments.

DArcy, Shortwave

#138 - 04/03/08 02:44 PM Re: Rendezvous 2008 [Re: D'Arcy]
Glen Offline
addict

Loc: Parry Sound on
D'Arcy.. Thanks for your work and reply. Seems I lost my first response so here goes again...All 3 sites are familiar to me from the land and seem great...I may not have a fully functional rig by then but I'd like to hook up at launch or retrieval if all else fails. At least view some pipers and meet some folk. Joanne has got holidays then and I'm OK. So consider us "in" proviing thing don't shift too drastically. Thanks Glen & Jo
Glen, Pretty Brown, #380

#146 - 04/04/08 07:57 AM Re: Rendezvous 2008 [Re: Glen]
Tailpiper Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mazinaw Lake
D'Arcy, thanks for getting this kick-started.

Joanne and I really appreciate the change of date from the August long weekend to the following weekend. Joanne's nephew is getting married on the long weekend and we would not have been able to attend.

Of the proposed venues, I would vote for the Toronto Islands and the Bay of Quinte (not necessarily in that order).

I have been in Toronto Harbour and you are absolutely correct. The city makes a very dramatic back-drop to a unique sailing experience.

I have also been in the Bay of Quinte. It offers great marinas and famous gunk-holing opportunities.

Sapphire will sail wherever the fleet goes. It will be great to meet the charter members, the new members and the members who have not been able to make one of the previous Rendezvous.

#152 - 04/04/08 12:51 PM Re: Rendezvous 2008 [Re: Tailpiper]
Windy Island Offline

Loc: LaPasse, Ontario
Thanks DArcy. The proposed weekend of Aug. 8th, 9th and 10th is great for the Windy Island crew. If the fleet decided on Bay of Quinte would we have enough time to launch at Belleville Friday night and sail to Picton by Sunday afternoon? We would need to shuttle back for the vehicles. I like both the Bay of Quinte and the Toronto Islands.
#158 - 04/04/08 11:22 PM Re: Rendezvous 2008 [Re: Windy Island]
Arthur Offline
enthusiast

Loc: MI
I'm in where ever it is.

Edited by Arthur (04/04/08 11:24 PM)

#161 - 04/05/08 08:48 AM Re: Rendezvous 2008 [Re: Arthur]
Pathfinder Offline

Likewise, we're happy to try any of these places Aug 8-10.

Thanks, D'Arcy.

Wind Chime

#162 - 04/05/08 09:07 AM Re: Rendezvous 2008 [Re: Arthur]
Kiwi John Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Oakville, Ontario
Thanks D'Arcy for starting this us up.

Any venue would be great for us however Toronto would be preferable, as you say the Islands would be interesting to explore.
Would wind or lack off be an issue?, I suppose motoring might be the only way anyway as it is pretty tight in there isn't it.
Sailing Toronto harbour sounds great. I could almost sail there, it probably would take me all day from Bronte though.

Picton is very good also, I would be up for that too. I sailed their last summer and the town and harbour are pretty.

John

#163 - 04/05/08 09:19 AM Re: Rendezvous 2008 [Re: Kiwi John]
kenn Offline
old hand

Loc: Toronto ON
Toronto being "home", all 3 suggestions are workable for us.My only concern is whether these locations are sufficiently attractive to the sailors east of Ontario.

#168 - 04/06/08 06:44 AM Re: Rendezvous 2008 [Re: kenn]
Tailpiper Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mazinaw Lake
Rendezvous 2007 was the best one yet. It will be tough to beat!

We should examine the formula and determine what worked so well. I think it was having 9 'Pipers tied together at the Dunal's dock that made it a success. So no matter which venue we choose, the evenings should be spent at a land-based facility where we can fabricate stories and exchange folklore. I'll bring a can of sardines for good measure.

We seem to have narrowed the field to 2 locations. Is everyone OK with the proposed weekend?

#185 - 04/07/08 11:24 PM Re: Rendezvous 2008 [Re: Tailpiper]
D'Arcy Offline
addict

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
We were blessed with wind last year so we might be due for a light breeze weekend. You never can tell. August isn't known for wind but it is usually nice and warm.

Each Rendezvous has been a unique experience; a fine blend of local sailing conditions & culture flavoured with the organizational skills of various Sandpiper fleet members. The location often leads to how the event will be run depending on available anchorages, marinas, etc. Once we've determined the area, a group of us could iron out all the fun details. In fact, volunteers are always welcome. It would be interesting to hear what facets of the Rendezvous people liked best. (I personally liked the synchro swim demo.)

It's interesting how many different kinds of events we've had. We kept it fairly casual last year, focusing on rafting techniques in tranquil bays and casual get-togethers. That being said, a one way cruise, picking cars up later would be neat. I also like the idea of trying out basic sailing techniques (man overboard drills, heaving a line, etc.) Anything we can't do, we can try next year.

Looking forward (can hardly wait!) to August.

D'Arcy, Shortwave

Page 1 of 8 12345>Last »

Hop to: