Page 1 of 32 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#13878 - 08/20/14 05:12 PM Sandpiper 565 Restoral
Mark S Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Shelburne Ontario
Well I am finally getting around to restoring my Sandpiper 565 which I bought from someone on Manitoulin Island about 6 years ago. Below is a picture of my little Piper on the Ferry ride to the main land. I must say I am far from a handy man and will probably have lots of questions on how to restore. Not sure how long it will take to finish as I do not have much free time between work and other hobbies but I am going to give it a try.

#13879 - 08/20/14 06:50 PM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Mark S]
Mark S Offline
enthusiast

I plan on restoring the hull using Interlux Brightside sapphire blue. From the different forums I have been on Brightside is normally used above the water line but can be used below if boat not always in water. I only plan on sailing for day trips then pulling boat out of the water. Has anybody used Brightside below water line? The other option is INTERLUX VC Performance Epoxy with Teflon. This paint can be used below the water line but as far as I can tell comes in white only. The other option is just using Brightside above water line and anti fouling paint below. Any tips from the experts out there.

#13880 - 08/20/14 09:36 PM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Mark S]
Dat Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Ontario, I think?
Hello Mark S,
I used Interlux Brightside on the top deck and hull above the water line with good results. Below the water, first all the antifouling was removed which can be a pain. It took me about an hour to scrape, sand and curse just to get about a square foot of 3 layers of antifouling off. So I used a product called Soy Gel Paint Stripper. I deviated from the instructions by applying a liberal coat of the gel then covering it with saran wrap and left it until the next day. It only took me only a couple of hours to scrape the entire hull below the wl., then just went back and touched up any spots that were missed. Primed, final sanding and applied Interlux Fibreglass Bottomcoat, which has a good colour selection.
Then you can go sailing. Good luck with your project.

#13881 - 08/20/14 11:22 PM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Dat]
kenn Offline
old hand

Loc: Toronto ON
Try buffing one small bad area of the hull with a wet piece of 1000 wet/dry sandpaper. You might find that the original colour can be brought out without too much effort. Might be cheaper and less work than painting. Our boat is that CL cream colour, and with some light sanding, rubbing compound, and finally polishing & waxing, it's come back quite a bit.

When stripping the build-up of ancient anti-fouling from our Sandpiper, I tried a number of things (scraping, strippers) and i got the best results with the least effort and toxicity by using a soy-based stripper (Franmar Soy-strip)

#13883 - 08/21/14 07:25 AM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: kenn]
Happy Camper
Unregistered

Hi Mark,
She looks like a fun project! It's nice to see another restoration going on at the same time.
Camper

#13884 - 08/21/14 08:07 AM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: ]
Bob Offline
addict

Please try Ken's advise. I have used those methods to retore three 70's era boats including my 79 Sandpiper. On a mutineer a few years ago I used toilet bowl cleaner (use gloves and a tarp) to remove the layer of crust left from dried out lake scum (usually what you find at the waterline). Collinite makes a terrific cleaner that removes oxidation from the gelcoat and their wax products are the best I have ever used. http://www.amazon.com/COLLINITE-LIQUID-F...ords=collinite.
These old Sandpipers were well built and there is a lot of material to work with so I would try restoration before paint.

#13889 - 08/21/14 04:16 PM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Bob]
Mark S Offline
enthusiast

I will give Soy Gel Paint Stripper a try. Good news for me is antifouling paint is so old I don't think it will take much to get off. My big challenge is going to be painting under boat when it is on the trailer. I will need to find a way to jack it up a bit when I get to that stage. I did not know about Interlux Fibreglass Bottomcoat for under water line, I will check it out.
#13890 - 08/21/14 04:22 PM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Mark S]
Mark S Offline
enthusiast

I still think I want to go the paint route as I really dislike the hull color. The boat is in great shape overall as far as no water in the dark side but there is a 6ft section of the hull that has deep scratches I want to repair. Even if I liked the hull color I do not think I would be able to match paint.

Edited by Mark S (08/21/14 04:23 PM)

#13891 - 08/21/14 04:56 PM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Mark S]
Mark S Offline
enthusiast

That brings me to my next question. To fill deep scratches I plan on using INTERLUX WatertiteŽ Epoxy Filler.

My plan here is to lightly sand the damaged area and then wipe down with Interlux 216 thinner until clean. Fill in scratches with epoxy filler and after cured sand down until smooth. Clean area with 216 thinner and apply Interlux Brightside Pre-Kote Primer. Sand primer to remove any imperfections that are seen. At that point I would then tape the remainder of the hull and do an overall sanding and clean with 216 thinner. Then I am ready to paint the whole hull with primer. From what I have read use two coats of primer with sanding and cleaning until hull has no imperfections. At that point I would apply Interlux bright side.

I noticed there is something called INTERLUX 333 Brushing Liquid. I will need to see how this is used. I would guess there will be instructions included on the procedure to follow. But hey I'm a guy, who needs instructions \:\)

Any tips from anyone that has painted hull.

#13898 - 08/22/14 04:59 AM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Bob]
Mark S Offline
enthusiast

Hi Bob,

I was contemplating painting the topside but maybe I will give COLLINITE LIQUID Fiberglass cleaner a try and see if I can restore fiberglass.

Page 1 of 32 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Dave V 
Hop to: