Page 15 of 32 « First<1314151617>Last »
Topic Options
#18064 - 08/01/16 05:58 AM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Happy Camper]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

Happy, this is a great idea. I've been pondering your solution for quite a while now, and I can't come up with anything better.

It's unfortunate that the empty bottles couldn't have a 2nd function to hyper-justify their presence on the boat. It's too bad they weren't miniature dock fenders, or storage bunkers for 'AAA' batteries, or receptacles for loose pocket change. You could 1/8-fill each with emergency ethanol-free gasoline, or 18-year old Scotch, or pre-load each with an S.O.S. note in a bottle . . .

#18078 - 08/03/16 08:06 AM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Sandpaper]
Happy Camper Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Holland, MI
My favorite part is that they can easily be removed if I need access to the bilge again someday. No more digging out stinky nasty foam!.
Maybe the foam added some element of structure to the hull, but I sure cant tell any difference except my boat is at least a hundred pounds lighter.
Hmmm. a water balasted Piper? Naaaah.

#18120 - 08/12/16 08:59 PM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Happy Camper]
Mark S Online   content
enthusiast

Loc: Shelburne Ontario
Great all this talk of water bottles has me thinking about working on the boat again. Been working non-stop but finally have a couple weeks holidays. I need to fill the cavity under the cabin and here is the foam available at Home Depot. The first foam is more denser used for insulation. The second one in more granular and not as dense. The last one is more granular but seemed to have some sort of protective top coating on it. So far I would think the best foam is the one used for insulation as it won't soak up as much water if wet.

The other option is going for the bottles if I drink lots of water. I am just finishing the bulkhead and have ordered the epoxy and cloth to finish it off. I am also going to add a access hatch in the event I need to remove any water.

What does everyone think?

#18121 - 08/12/16 09:10 PM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Mark S]
Mark S Online   content
enthusiast

I was thinking of going with the denser foam so I can can provide extra support for the cockpit floor. I will stack the foam as much as I can and for any small gap between foam and floor use the spray foam.

Edited by Mark S (08/12/16 09:10 PM)

#18122 - 08/12/16 10:18 PM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Mark S]
kenn Offline
old hand

Loc: Toronto ON
 Originally Posted By: Mark S
I was thinking of going with the denser foam so I can can provide extra support for the cockpit floor. I will stack the foam as much as I can and for any small gap between foam and floor use the spray foam.

I used Styrofoam SM - the blue stuff - because it's used for in-ground foundation insulation, so it can withstand water. Don't use the white stuff; it's about the same as the rotten stuff you pulled out.

Regarding the cockpit floor - if it's soft or bouncy, try to repair it properly from underside before putting in the foam. I was able to repair a couple of delaminated spots on ours, and glass some extra plywood bracing to the underside.

i don't think the foam can be relied upon for long-term structural support.

#18123 - 08/12/16 11:07 PM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: kenn]
Mark S Online   content
enthusiast

Hi Kenn. The cockpit floor is very sturdy and does not need to be restored. The foam will not be providing any sort of structural support. I will go with the styrofoam 5M, thanks for the advice. Come to think of it when I did pull the old foam out it did look like the less dense stuff.
#18125 - 08/13/16 04:38 PM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Mark S]
Pipe Dream Offline

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI USA
Mark, For your view enjoyment, Here is a link detailing my adventures from the "Dark Side" High density foam is the way to go.

http://www.vaxxine.com/clsailboats/ubbth...r=1008#Post1008
S565 #781

#18129 - 08/14/16 12:19 PM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Pipe Dream]
Mark S Online   content
enthusiast

Thanks for the link Lee. I have purchased the blue high density foam and also some spray foam to fill in any extra voids. I will post some picture along the way. Just finishing the bulk head now before filing the "Dark Side" LOL.
#18141 - 08/18/16 05:00 PM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Mark S]
Mark S Online   content
enthusiast

I was finally able to spend a bit of time working on the boat. Foam and bulkhead has now been installed. Next step is to epoxy fillet all the seams and epoxy the cloth onto the the bulkhead. Should be very interesting and maybe a bit messy as I am working in an enclosed area. I am going to tack the precut cloth in place before I start rolling on the Expoy. Never really done anything like this before but spent a lot of time watching YouTube videos 😀. For the foam I figured I would need about 6 sheets to fill the dark side, but in the end I used 9 total. Each sheet is 24"x96"X 0.5". I also used 3 bottles of gap filling expansion foam to fill some of the voids and area just below the cockpit floor. I added a small ridge at the top of the bulkhead so I will be able to install a shelf to add gas tank and battery in lazarette. All and all I am very happy with the work done so far. Hopefully epoxy work will go smoothly. Will post some more pictures once epoxy is done.

#18142 - 08/19/16 06:34 AM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Mark S]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

What a great photo sequence! It's obvious from the pictures just how much preparation and work you put into this project, Mark. It looks good. I'm anxious to see the final pictures after the bulkhead is glassed and finished.

Page 15 of 32 « First<1314151617>Last »

Moderator:  Dave V 
Hop to: