Page 17 of 32 « First<1516171819>Last »
Topic Options
#18258 - 09/30/16 12:02 AM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Mark S]
Mark S Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Shelburne Ontario
I have almost finished the Porta Potti enclosure. The plan is to just remove from the boat after each use to empty. I am going to remove the head pump out as it is no longer needed. I have epoxied a wood circle piece in place and will apply final epoxy once it dries.

#18263 - 09/30/16 08:08 AM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Mark S]
Happy Camper Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Holland, MI
Looking good. I just cut the hose off and left it in there. Your way is much cleaner.
I see you have pulled the bow pulpit. Very good. Re-bedding deck hardware is a great thing to do in 40 year old boats!
I re-did all mine and have not had a drip all summer. (unless I spray water in the small gaps in the washboards when I am washing the boat.)
Oh well, at least the interior gets a nice wipe down that way I guess. LOL
It's a lot of work, but it's worth it to have a dry boat.
My theory is: "Wet boats smell, dry boats smell nice!"

#18267 - 09/30/16 07:08 PM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Happy Camper]
Mark S Offline
enthusiast

Time to move onto the entrance into the cabin. There is lots of fiberglass damage under the wooden guides for the cabin door panels.

#18268 - 09/30/16 07:12 PM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Mark S]
Mark S Offline
enthusiast

Happy Camper when re-bedding the hardware what do I use for a gasket so there are no leaks. Do I use some sort of caulking or is there some rubber I can buy?
#18273 - 10/03/16 08:09 AM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Mark S]
Happy Camper Offline
enthusiast

Hi Mark,
There are many products available for this. Each sailor will have their favorite. 3M makes some very good products.
My weapon of choice is Butyl tape. I love the stuff. I have NEVER had a leak using this.
It's a bit messy and you don't want to be in a hurry when you use it, but it seals like crazy and stays soft for many years.
This is a very good write up about how to apply it and how it works:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/63554-bedding-deck-hardware-butyl-tape.html

It's pretty cheap as well. Just make sure you get the real stuff. I bought the stuff I use on Amazon.
Once the fasteners are tight, the stuff will slowly migrate out for months. Just give it a scrape with a plastic scraper and it comes right off.

Now, this author is pretty much dead against silicones. He calls it "Satin's glue" Pretty harsh! I used a special version of it to bed and seal my side windows and deck hatches because the instructions call for silicone only adhesive/sealer.
It was a Dow Corning product designed for installing windows in skyscrapers. I cant remember the number off hand. A couple of little tricks when using silicon:
1. If it smells like vinegar, don't use it on your boat! This is not a marine grade silicone and will fail in the sun relatively fast. Even some silicones called "Marine" smell like vinegar, don't use them.
2. If you snap the cap back on the tube, or put a little rubber caper on the tube and store the silicone in the fridge, it will last for more than a year! I just used a dab from a tube I have had for almost two years and it is still good.
Silicone curing is a chemical reaction. All chemical reactions are slowed when the temperature drops. Store it cold. I haven't tried the freezer, that might be even better!
My $0.02
Good luck with the project.

Edited by Happy Camper (10/03/16 08:25 AM)

#18277 - 10/03/16 09:39 PM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Happy Camper]
Mark S Offline
enthusiast

Thanks Happy Camper!! I will order some Butyl tape. Must admit I have never heard of this product before. I have to say this is a great forum and I have learnt so much over the last year.
#18278 - 10/03/16 09:45 PM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Mark S]
Mark S Offline
enthusiast

Things are coming along very well. I have now finished the bulk head, storage compartments, and the porta-Potti compartment. I need to do a final sanding of the head pump out hole, and the cabin entrance. I will post some pictures shortly. Next is to start filling all the deep gouges in the hull.
#18279 - 10/03/16 10:05 PM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Mark S]
Mark S Offline
enthusiast

I am also getting close to paint the inside of the cabin. What are my choices for primer and paint to do this? I am not sure I really need to spend the big bucks for Interlux Brightside paint as the cabin is not exposed to the elements. Happy Camper if I remember correctly you used Rustoleum paint. How is that holding up? Did you use a primer coat first?
#18280 - 10/03/16 10:18 PM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Mark S]
Mark S Offline
enthusiast

Happy Camper just to confirm you were using something like this?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-St...92504/100117230

Did you first apply rustoleum primer paint? Did you use spray cans or do everything with brushes?

#18284 - 10/04/16 08:00 AM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Mark S]
Happy Camper Offline
enthusiast

Hi Mark,
The link you sent doesn't seem to load, but The description in the link doesn't sound right.
I used Rustoleum Top-Side enamel. It is specially designed for brush painting boats.

I ended up using this paint for everything. After two summers, one of which was in the water at the marina, it has held up very well.
I would certainly recommend this paint for the interior areas! I didn't use primer on the interior, just on the outside. Looking back, I should have primed the interior as well.
There are a few spots that look like they could have had a bit better coverage. Where I used the primer on the outside, the coverage was excellent.
The paint and primer are reasonably priced, so that's not a factor. The primer is sandable too. Even one coat builds well enough to sand. On the white areas, I used two coats, on the dark blue, I needed three.

Applying the stuff was easy; First I scuffed the surfaces with a Scotchbrite pad and then wiped up any dust with a damp cloth. Then I rolled and tip the primer, let it dry and touch sanded it.
I then thinned the paint about 10% with mineral spirits and rolled and tipped the finish coats. For the exterior I sanded with 400-600 (cant remember) grit paper to knock off the high spots.
The shine holds up very well. Pretty easy to work with.
If you are like me, you will eventually drop something heavy and scratch it. It is easy to touch up as well. wipe the area with a wax remover then use a small brush and paint over the spot.
Looks like new when your done.
There are many "roll and tip" videos on Youtube, check them out.
Use a good brush and don't work too far ahead, a couple of feet at a time, you need a good "wet edge" to keep the shine up. Use a very short nap roller (1/4") or even a foam roller. I used a 4 1/2" long roller, pretty small.
Good luck with your project, a new paint job goes a long way in making the whole boat feel new!

Edited by Happy Camper (10/04/16 08:11 AM)

Page 17 of 32 « First<1516171819>Last »

Moderator:  Dave V 
Hop to: