Page 3 of 32 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#14034 - 08/30/14 06:37 PM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Mark S]
Seafari Offline
journeyman

Loc: Nova Scotia
This looks pretty serious. Is it a complete overhaul?
Seafari #373

#14036 - 08/30/14 08:33 PM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Mark S]
Mark S Online   content
enthusiast

Loc: Shelburne Ontario
Don't know when I will have the time but I want to restore the boat from top to bottom. This will also include the trailer which needs a new axle and two side bunks. At the same time I will give it a coat of paint so it will looks as good as the boat. For the Piper I want to remove all the hardware so I can do a proper paint job. There are a lot of deep gashes in the hull and fiberglass chips in the cockpit and cabin I also want to repair. The good news is everything appears to be dry and no flex in the floor so I don't think I will need to pull out any foam. The rub rails are in bad shape so I will replace them with rubber rails. For the inside cabin I want to pull out the old bucket and add enclosure for Porta-Potti. I will use epoxy and fiberglass cloth and at the same time paint the whole cabin. I also want to upgrade the table and at the same time grease the keel screw which I don't think has ever been done. I may not do it during this upgrade but I would like to add 2 extra sidestays as I had a bad experience where one came loose. Luckily I just stayed on the same tack and my wife was able to re-attach. I am also interested in a mast raising system to make putting the mast up and down much easier.
I suspect this will be a long project but I plan on doing a bit at a time. I just moved to the country a couple years ago so I now have more then enough room to do my projects and I don't have to worry about what the neighbors think \:\)

Edited by Mark S (08/30/14 08:44 PM)

#14073 - 09/03/14 09:15 PM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Mark S]
Mark S Online   content
enthusiast

I have finished temporary cradle and will be taking Sandpiper off trailer tomorrow. I can then repair trailer and start working on hull. I will post some pictures shortly.
#14074 - 09/03/14 09:32 PM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Mark S]
Seafari Offline
journeyman

Prince Auto is THE place to get your trailer needs. They have everything but the replacement steel.
Seafari #373

#14075 - 09/03/14 10:04 PM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Seafari]
Mark S Online   content
enthusiast

You got it. Thats where I plan on buying on my trailer parts. overall it is in very good shape and just needs an axle which are always going on sale. Kenn mentioned they were on sale last week but did not have a chance to pick one up. I also need to get a tongue mount roller assembly for the bow. Other than that all that is required is a good paint job. I did the electrical work a few years back so that is all good. One neat thing I want to do is mount an ATV winch which will be part of the mast raising system I want to design. I am going to see what Kind of neat contraption I can come up with, for the fun of it \:\)
#14117 - 09/06/14 08:33 PM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Mark S]
Mark S Online   content
enthusiast

Well it took a bit of time and was a lot harder then I thought but I finally got the Sandpiper off my trailer. I did not jack it up high enough so I needed to remove the side bunks and wheel fenders. The most exciting part is when I put the keel down I saw it for the first time since buying the boat. It was in great shape and needs no repair which is awesome.

#14118 - 09/06/14 09:08 PM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Mark S]
Mark S Online   content
enthusiast

I am going to start sanding and repairing fiberglass shortly. I only have a palm vibrating sander but I am looking at buying a DeWalt 5 In Random Orbital Sander. I am doing this work in an enclosure so I plan on using a Asbestos and lead respirator which I already have. Will this respirator work with fiberglass?

#14126 - 09/07/14 08:44 PM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Mark S]
Seafari Offline
journeyman

That looks an awful lot like the trailer that came with my boat too. My trailer was missing the serial number/ data plate. The latch at the break-over was a real poor set-up. I simplified it with a much better spring loaded latch from Princess Auto.
Seafari #373

#14129 - 09/08/14 04:59 AM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Seafari]
Mark S Online   content
enthusiast

My trailer has a registration and date plate but can not read it now from all the rust. I remember when I went to register trailer with MTO I told them there was a plate but could not read, and they said information was required and there was nothing they could do. With advise of some friends I went back next day and with different person told them it was a home built and I was good. Go figure that one out I will look into the spring loaded latch.
#14130 - 09/08/14 07:55 AM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Mark S]
Happy Camper
Unregistered

Hey Mark S
If your respirator works with asbestos, you will be fine with fiberglass. Make sure your respirator has a pre-filter attached. This is a thin (usually) filter that goes in front of the main filters. This is meant to be changed often and is there to keep the large particles from plugging up the main filters.

Page 3 of 32 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Dave V 
Hop to: