Page 7 of 7 « First<34567
Topic Options
#18737 - 02/16/17 01:09 AM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: Little Wave]
FreeBird
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Little Wave

But from hauling our Sandpiper to all the Rendezvous and we have mid size trailer tires with tubes inside then, I am surprised how Warm they become when towing. Tire pressure is correct but when the boat is full of gear there is some extra weight. At all stops or breaks that we take when towing to/from a rendezvous we immediately as a precaution touch the hubs and tires to detect any abnormal high heat. Smaller sized tires would even heat up more.

NEVER RUN RADIAL TIRES WITH INNER-TUBES!!!!!
It causes the tires to overheat which can result in blowout's.
Please don't tell me you are using bias-ply tires on your trailer?
That technology died in the 60's.

Omg you can't turn your back.

#18743 - 02/23/17 06:47 PM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: ]
FreeBird
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: FreeBird
 Originally Posted By: FreeBird
 Originally Posted By: Little Wave

But from hauling our Sandpiper to all the Rendezvous and we have mid size trailer tires with tubes inside then, I am surprised how Warm they become when towing. Tire pressure is correct but when the boat is full of gear there is some extra weight. At all stops or breaks that we take when towing to/from a rendezvous we immediately as a precaution touch the hubs and tires to detect any abnormal high heat. Smaller sized tires would even heat up more.

NEVER RUN RADIAL TIRES WITH INNER-TUBES!!!!!
It causes the tires to overheat which can result in blowout's.
Please don't tell me you are using bias-ply tires on your trailer?
That technology died in the 60's.

Omg you can't turn your back.

Everyone knows? or No one cares?

Does make me wonder.

Installing a tire onto a rim is no easy task it actually involves tire irons to force the tire on.
I mean when you think about it punching the valve stem out of the rim is really not all that hard but
trying to get the inner-tube valve into the hole all the while stuffing the tube into the tire and forcing the new rubber on just blows my mind.

#18789 - 03/21/17 06:54 PM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: Sandpaper]
kenn Offline
old hand

Loc: Toronto ON
 Originally Posted By: Sandpaper
On a slightly different note, does anyone have experience with PVC rollers? My piper has an embarrassing black smudge where the bow roller fights against the winching action. I assume that the PVC rollers are non-marking.

Having 12 black rollers on our trailer... I've taken to putting old socks onto them. Stops the black marks.

#19027 - 05/31/17 06:05 AM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: kenn]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

Wheel Chocks by Sandpaper, on Flickr

Fenders . . .

#19315 - 09/12/17 07:21 AM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: Sandpaper]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

Rodger's Trailer by Sandpaper, on Flickr

I rode from The Maz to Ganonoque with Rodger to help launch and rig his Mac 26. He was getting her ready for a cruise in The 1000 Islands. Here is an interesting story.

Rodger just recently added the dual axle to his trailer. Prior to that, the factory trailer only had a single axle. Rodger's estimate of the boat, gear, and trailer was 4000 lbs. He also claimed that he had averaged 22+/- L/100km (11 mpgUS) with the single axle. Now, with the dual axle, we made 18 L/100km (13 mpgUS)at 80km/hr on Hwy 41, and 19 L/100km (12 mpgUS)at 100km/hr on Hwy 401.

That is remarkable! The numbers are surely empirical and anecdotal, but Rodger is not a person to exaggerate. I trust his observations.

So, what do you think? How would you explain a dual-axle arrangement saving such a significant amount of gas?

Page 7 of 7 « First<34567

Moderator:  Dave V 
Hop to: