Page 1 of 7 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#17725 - 05/19/16 02:38 PM Trailer Replacement
Kevin Offline
stranger

Loc: Upper Tantallon, NS
Hi all,
I've been away from sailing for a few years, boat has been patiently waiting in the back yard. Finally getting the sandpiper geared up to get her back in the water this summer. She's normally kept on her trailer, only in the water when asked. I'd like to replace the trailer, does anyone have a recomendation of a suitable make and model? With every trip meaning a launch and haulout one with lots of rollers and close to the ground and/or with an extendable tongue would be prefered. Current trailer (not the original) is sturdily built but the boat sits quite high off the ground, many of our boat ramps here (salt water) are shallow so it's difficult to push her off and haul her back on the trailer. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin Wile
Upper Tantallon NS

#17730 - 05/20/16 05:55 AM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: Kevin]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

Kevin, I hadn't made the connection. Sail #1162 had belonged to our good friend Don White in Halifax. I co-piloted for Don on his cross-country trek to join Rendezvous 2008 on Lake Rosseau. The trailer was brand new that year. We were barely into New Brunswick when we detected a problem. The rear shackles on the leaf springs had over-extended and bottomed out. The trailer was riding hard with no suspension and the tires were wearing into the fenders.

Don used a roadside truck repair welding shop to re-position the shackles. We had no more issues after that.

Yes, the boat did sit high above the pavement.

#17733 - 05/20/16 10:17 AM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: Sandpaper]
Boulter Offline

Loc: Central Ontario
Hi:

Couple suggestions.

Make a tongue extension like I did. Start with 10 feet of 2x2" steel 1/4" wall (maybe 1/8" wall, don't remember) or whatever section matches your existing tongue. Weld on a ball 2 feet from the aft end (adjust as required to fit). At the aft end, weld on two strips of `1/8" steel such that when the extension is underneath the tongue with the extension ball inserted into the trailer coupler, the two strips extend sufficiently above the trailer tongue to drill holes for a pin (1/2" pin inch is plenty). Attach coupler to the forward end of the extension.

I use the pin to trap the extension on the trailer frame while under way, and finish off the tie down with 3 short buckle straps custom sized to the job.

Second idea is to get smaller wheels as the ones on your trailer look quite large given the ~2000 pound load.

One or both of the above might be a whole lot easier and cheaper than swapping trailers.

Regards,

Boulter

#17738 - 05/21/16 06:39 AM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: Boulter]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

This was the lowest ride I had ever seen. It was Wind Song's trailer at the 2009 Midland Rendezvous. The camera height here would have been only about 5'-0" and is above the cockpit coaming while the boat is on the trailer.

Here is what made her so low to the road:
  • The wheel span was wide enough to let the hull settle between the fenders. Most of our trailers require the boat to remain above the fenders. You want as wide an axle kit as is available.
  • The axle was slung above the leaf springs rather than below. This reduced the stack-up height by several inches (2x the leaf spring stack height + 1x the axle girth).
  • Wind Song's trailer had bunks rather than rollers. It only had rollers on the centre-line. I noticed from surveying my Sandpiper trailer photos that trailers with articulating roller assemblies tended to elevate the boat above the pavement. Bunks tend to have the lowest profile.

#17743 - 05/22/16 05:46 AM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: Sandpaper]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

This photo is from the haul-out at the 2010 Gatineau Rendezvous. The picture has captured a few of the various trailer configurations across the fleet.

Jenny's trailer, on the extreme right, looks to have a narrow wheel span. Jenny is perched high above the fenders. Kiwi John traveled with a 6-foot step ladder in order to access the deck from the roadway. Jenny would probably be considered an over-height load on the Chi-Cheemaun ferry.

Next to Jenny is Latis. Look how wide her trailer's wheels are set. Latis is right down between the fenders with space to spare.

Bob, can you tell us whether Latis is on bunks or rollers?

The rest of the boats in the picture seem to be at similar heights, an inch or 2 above Latis.

Any observations from the rest of the fleet?

#17745 - 05/22/16 09:00 AM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: Sandpaper]
Bob Offline
addict

Latis' trailer has rollers down the middle and bunks on each side.
#17765 - 05/24/16 12:58 PM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: Bob]
Shortwave Offline
old hand

We've got bunks which we like because of the way the load is spread out along the hull. (We're next to Latis.) It did make the hull sit just a wee bit higher though. Usually not a problem except for really shallow ramps.

D'Arcy, Shortwave

#17766 - 05/24/16 07:43 PM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: Shortwave]
kenn Offline
old hand

Loc: Toronto ON
Our boat is on the left in that photo (white hull, mast up) besides Shortwave (blue hull).

We apparently have the 'stock' Viscot trailer. I shifted the winch post forward a little to imcrease the tongue weight and to ease the pressure of the front rollers on the hull.

Regarding height, I've found that we can launch/retrieve at just about any public boat ramp, though sometimes I need to get the rear axle of our SUV wet.

To Kevin: based on Sandpaper's pix of the trailer, it looks like you could add more keel rollers in the center, and replace the existing rollers with bunks... and you'd have lowered the boat another 4" maybe. I don't know if a new trailer would give you much lower than that. Just a suggestion.

#17773 - 05/25/16 09:11 AM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: kenn]
Kevin Offline
stranger

Loc: Upper Tantallon, NS
Don was quite disappointed with the trailer, after a lot of work on it I'm frustrated with it too. I've lowered the boat on the trailer as much as it can be. Flipped the axle to the upper side of the springs, lowered the rear bunks, moved the fenders out an inch, no more room between the hull and fenders for it to come down any further. The trailer was made with an extendable tongue , only 18" extension and it really makes no difference.
I like the profile of Wind Song's and Latis' trailers, low and wide. Were they custom built or stock models? What's the width between fenders on them?
Have looked at EZ Loader and Easy Hauler specs but not sure what dimensions (weight capacity, width between fenders) I'm looking for.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Edited by Kevin (05/25/16 10:04 AM)

Kevin Wile
Upper Tantallon NS

#17785 - 05/29/16 05:56 AM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: Kevin]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

Here are a couple of notes about Sapphire's trailer.

There was one particular incident where instead of pulling the boat onto the trailer, the winch post just started to slip backwards on the tongue. To prevent this from ever happening again, the winch post was relocated a few inches more forward and the front clamping bolt was passed inside the little support stand under the tongue. This modification also meant that the boat parked a little more forward on the trailer. A happy side-effect was that the keel could then drop down in front of one of the centreline rollers. To take advantage of this new position, a crosser (a shelf) was installed under the trailer. While traveling, we are now in the habit of lowering the keel onto a rubber pad on the crosser to take the keel weight out of the hull.

The side rails of the Wiscot trailer are perforated for mounting and relocating all kinds of hardware. We have moved the axle assembly aft one set of holes. This was done to make the trailer more stable on the hard while not connected to the tow vehicle. On a few occasions, the trailer had tipped up while I was walking around at the transom of the boat. I think I once went for a teeter-totter ride while crouched down inside the lazarette. Relocating the axle has put more load on the tongue. It's all I can do to lift the hitch onto the ball with the boat on the trailer. But it doesn't tip up while I'm wandering around on deck.

Moving the wheels back also helped that license-plate problem I mentioned in another post. But there is another benefit that I hadn't considered until now. If the ramp slope is 15% or more, then the boat will float in about 1/2" less water than the original set-up. Hmmmmm. Now that is interesting. I'm even smarter than I look.

Page 1 of 7 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Dave V 
Hop to: