Page 2 of 7 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#17803 - 06/02/16 12:16 AM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: Sandpaper]
Shortwave Offline
old hand

Another consideration for a trailer is the width.  Shortwave's trailer may not let the boat sit as low as others, but If we had a wider wheel base to lower the hull it would be very hard backing the trailer down our driveway.  Even now we deal in inches.  Although the boiler exhaust comes out from our house into the driveway it is at the right height to let the hull pass over it.
The picture also shows Lynda using a Viking windlass to install high performance double leeboards onto Shortwave.

[img]http://[/img]

D'Arcy, Shortwave

#17804 - 06/02/16 05:39 AM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: Shortwave]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

Ok, D'Arcy, what is Lynda really doing? I'm guessing that those are NOT high-performance daggerboards, because I'm pretty sure that Shortwave does not have a canting keel.

The Viking windlass set-up, is that a clever machination for re-fitting the teak rub rails? You guys are just so smart. I tip my spangenhelm to you.

BTW, Sapphire is back from the welding shop and should be floating off her trailer this afternoon. Mast UP for the weekend. I'll get to try the modified mainsail for the first time. Stay tuned.

#17806 - 06/02/16 10:46 PM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: Sandpaper]
Shortwave Offline
old hand

You are right Dennis, we gave up on the chanting keel; it was just not fast enough. As you know we regularly exceed the 6 knot barrier while doing our glory passages in the Gulf. However, we know that we can do better! Canting keels are old news; foils are the way of the future.
The black carbon fibre extensions will support the foils now in the testing stage.
Cables in the base of the mast relay critical sail angulation data to the crew so they can trim the foils and rudder trim tab in sinc with the sails. We never come off the foils while gybing and tacking.
Hope to give demo for Sophie at Mazinaw.

D'Arcy, Shortwave

#17807 - 06/03/16 07:00 AM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: Shortwave]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

D'Arcy, you are a sailing genius. If this works, you'll make the Air Hammers look like Lego toys. I can't wait to see it at Sail Mazinaw.

Have you decided on the style of helmet for you and your crew?

Here are a couple of photos on Sapphire on her trailer. She is down and dirty. Hard to scrub that hull while she is in her bunks.

#18133 - 08/16/16 07:14 AM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: Sandpaper]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

Here is a gem that was parked near a boat launch on The Maz. It had coloured solid plastic lumber on the bunks. Sweet. The lumber looked to be 3/4" and 3/8" thick.

I didn't notice at the time, but check the axle arrangement in the photo. The springs are below the axle AND there looks to be a cast offset at the axle end. She's a low rider. Why wouldn't EVERY trailer be built like this? It's either stupid or rude to design a boat trailer with a mile of road clearance.

#18134 - 08/16/16 11:01 AM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: Sandpaper]
FreeBird
Unregistered

OMG... You never suspend a spring from an axle, the only thing stopping trailer failure is 2 small u-bolts and 4 nuts.

Spring on top of axle is the correct way, full load is on the axle and the u-bolts keep it all one.
If you look at the front shackle there are 2 adjustment holes for lowering the suspension that are not being used.

The guy needs to fix this before he is caught in a roadside inspection blitz.

#18135 - 08/17/16 06:47 AM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: ]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

Originally Posted By: FreeBird

OMG... You never suspend a spring from an axle, the only thing stopping trailer failure is 2 small u-bolts and 4 nuts.

Spring on top of axle is the correct way, full load is on the axle and the u-bolts keep it all one.

Oh, oh. Sapphire's trailer has the leaf springs slung UNDER the axle. This is so common that I would have assumed that it is safe and legal. But Mr. FreeBird, you are the forum's Master Highwayman, so I should not doubt your word. How can we determine if this arrangement is illegal? What document do we search for verification?

Originally Posted By: FreeBird

If you look at the front shackle there are 2 adjustment holes for lowering the suspension that are not being used.

Good observation! I'm pretty sure that Sapphire's trailer only has a single pivot point. I'll check for multiples, or even just enough real estate to drill a new pivot hole. Thanks!

#18136 - 08/17/16 08:20 AM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: Sandpaper]
FreeBird
Unregistered

Is this a mod you have done?

You are also missing a leaf band on the rear of the stack.
Any play in the bushing's?
The front of the spring is fixed the rear floats if the rear where fixed the thing would break in the first pothole.
Put your spring back on top and bolt the front in the hole closest to the frame.
Just eyeballing it from a grainy photo I would say the ride height is going to be close to what you have now.

#18137 - 08/17/16 11:56 AM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: Sandpaper]
Dat Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Ontario, I think?
Springs?
Unsprung, that's the way to go

#18194 - 08/31/16 07:06 AM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: Dat]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

This is our new acquisition. Ken (the windsurfer and free-diver) has named this little RV the Landpiper!

It doesn't have leaf springs. It too has torsion suspension, AND, standing headroom.

Crystal and I are leaving on Tuesday for a 4-week excursion of Western Canada.

FreeBird, keep the forum alive in our absence. More sailing in October.

Page 2 of 7 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Dave V 
Hop to: