Page 6 of 7 « First<34567>
Topic Options
#18541 - 12/10/16 02:34 AM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: Shortwave]
FreeBird
Unregistered

I was amazed during the LO300 in July when daytime temps. in the 80's how cold it got at night when the sun went down.
More than once I found myself scrambling for track pants and a sweater I was glad the 1ST Mate made me take warm clothing.

#18686 - 01/31/17 06:42 AM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: ]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

Sailors, meet sledders.

Everybody on this forum is probably aware of my obsession for shallow-launch trailers. I've talked before about the consideration for a low-profile 13" tire on my trailer to save a half inch of road clearance. Then the season changed and the snowmobilers started to arrive with their trailers.

This is an 8" tire. It is rated for 940 lbs. If that is a bit shy for a Sandpiper, trailer and gear, a 10" snowmobile trailer tire is rated to 1100 lbs. Instead of saving fractions of an inch, these wheels would save inches.

If I had not put new tires on the rig this past spring, I'd be shopping for 8" rims right now. How could we have missed this? Has anyone seen 8" wheels on a boat trailer?

#18716 - 02/06/17 10:56 PM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: Sandpaper]
Shortwave Offline
old hand

I'm sort of from the old school of thought that a big wheel trailer is the way to go. When you think of all those extra revolutions a small wheel goes through I'm thinking they will wear out much faster.
I've got a small wheeled folding bike and it's great but the tires wear out faster. The trade off on a bike is it can be stored on a boat because the wheels are so small.
With all the weight off a boat trailer I'd be concerned about premature blow-outs while highway driving.
Couldn't you just put the big wheels wider apart so the boat could sit really low?

D'Arcy, Shortwave

#18719 - 02/08/17 04:21 AM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: Shortwave]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

Check out this tire size site:
  • Sapphire's current 13 inch 175/80-13 tires have an overall diameter of 24.1" and a load rating of 1,360 lbs.
  • The 8 inch 215/60-8 tires have an overall diameter for 18.3" and the 'D Load Range' rating is 1,165 lbs.
That's a difference of 3" of axle height. On a shallow-sloped ramp, that could make the difference between soaking the rear brakes in the lake, or submerging the exhaust pipe below sea level, or putting the drive wheels into the slimy watermark.

These are all legitimate considerations.

I'm just kind of amazed that I have not seen 8" wheels on a boat trailer (since the 1970s).

#18720 - 02/08/17 10:06 AM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: Sandpaper]
Little Wave Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Sandpaper
Sailors, meet sledders.

Everybody on this forum is probably aware of my obsession for shallow-launch trailers. I've talked before about the consideration for a low-profile 13" tire on my trailer to save a half inch of road clearance. Then the season changed and the snowmobilers started to arrive with their trailers.

This is an 8" tire. It is rated for 940 lbs.

If the haul or tow was a very short distance then smaller tires would merit. But from hauling our Sandpiper to all the Rendezvous and we have mid size trailer tires with tubes inside then, I am surprised how Warm they become when towing. Tire pressure is correct but when the boat is full of gear there is some extra weight. At all stops or breaks that we take when towing to/from a rendezvous we immediately as a precaution touch the hubs and tires to detect any abnormal high heat. Smaller sized tires would even heat up more.

Since your trailer is a wishcott like mine. Why not instead of the tires why not lengthen the trailer. Install a trailer hitch extension, it's real easy only cost me $250. Cut off the hitch get 10 foot a square tube that will slide inside you main hitch tube and wield a new hitch to it. Drill 4 holes in both tubes. One at the hitch end and one at the frame end for a compact mode when towing and the drill a third for a second pull out position. The forth is for a locking device so no one can steal your extension

This will give you a 8 foot extension hide/slide away hitch. It's the best thing that I did to my trailer 8 years ago. My truck tires never touch the water when launching with the extension and I have been to some shallow boat launches.

At one very shallow launch, Before the hitch extension had to take off the stern trailer hull side supports to get the piper to float up and back off the trailer because of the small grade angle of the launch ground sand. Next step was to dig a trench in the sand for the tires. With the extension hitch never again. The muffler was way under water and water was all most coming in the back of the truck. Left the truck motor running the entire time.

Personally go with the best tires, and do the extension hitch, having a flat on some back road highway is a real pain.

How many when trailering carry a hydraulic jack and lots of wood for cribbing (enough to fill a milk carton or recycle box full). We do as if your spare tire fails you have to now unhitch at the side of the road. And as Murphys law states usually says will happen at the worst spot on the road at the worst time.

#18725 - 02/10/17 07:13 AM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: Little Wave]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

Originally Posted By: Little Wave

This will give you a 8 foot extension hide/slide away hitch. It's the best thing that I did to my trailer 8 years ago. My truck tires never touch the water when launching with the extension and I have been to some shallow boat launches.

The 8" wheel, low-ride trailer approach could save 1 - 3 feet of launch ramp length (depending on the slope). However, Little Wave's tongue extension saves 8 feet of launch ramp length right off the bat. That's an order of magnitude improvement without the risks associated with small diameter trailer wheels.

It's something to ponder.

How does the extension impact the back-up maneuvering? Is the trailer more responsive or less responsive to steering input with the longer wheelbase? Is it more difficult, or is it easier, to back into alignment with the ramp? These would be good questions for our resident trucker.

I still like the idea of getting the payload as low to the pavement as possible.

#18726 - 02/10/17 10:06 AM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: Sandpaper]
piperman Offline
veteran

Loc: Montréal
IMHO, the longer it is, the easier it gets! Just try to backup one of those very short rental trailers! But more space is needed to manoeuver. \:\)
Mari-Bell #154
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~

#18727 - 02/11/17 07:43 AM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: piperman]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

Originally Posted By: piperman

Just try to backup one of those very short rental trailers!

True that! Those short little wagons seem to have a mind of their own. Even with the steering wheel pinned hard to the stop, they will continue to go where they are aimed.

Michel, don't you have a video of an impressive back-up to your blind side. Nice!

On a slightly different note, does anyone have experience with PVC rollers? My piper has an embarrassing black smudge where the bow roller fights against the winching action. I assume that the PVC rollers are non-marking.

#18728 - 02/12/17 02:54 PM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: Sandpaper]
piperman Offline
veteran

Loc: Montréal
"Michel, don't you have a video of an impressive back-up to your blind side. Nice!"

Yeah! Sometimes I get lucky!... ;\)

https://youtu.be/skKSkVi1KII
Mari-Bell #154
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~

#18736 - 02/15/17 01:55 PM Re: Trailer Replacement [Re: Sandpaper]
Little Wave Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Little Wave

Originally Posted By: Sandpaper

The 8" wheel, low-ride trailer approach could save 1 - 3 feet of launch ramp length (depending on the slope). However, Little Wave's tongue extension saves 8 feet of launch ramp length right off the bat. That's an order of magnitude improvement without the risks associated with small diameter trailer wheels.

It's something to ponder.

How does the extension impact the back-up maneuvering? Is the trailer more responsive or less responsive to steering input with the longer wheelbase? Is it more difficult, or is it easier, to back into alignment with the ramp? These would be good questions for our resident trucker.

I still like the idea of getting the payload as low to the pavement as possible.

Yes, lower is better for launching.

When towing, the extend a hitch only add 3 inches to the total length, as it sides within the original tubing but adds some more weight that is only between the front end of the trailer frame and hitch. If you wanted to keep the original hitch intact then it would be 1 foot longer when towing.

It only takes an additional 5 minutes to extend or retract the extend-a-hitch. It could be done quicker with quick release pins but i prefer the nut and bolt types. The third pin is a safety lockable one, maybe three is a tad overkill.

We extend the hitch at the last moment mostly when in tight quarters, otherwise you can extend it just after rigging. With a longer wheelbase naturally the turns are a tad wider taking more room. (you have power steering right, grin!)

Here is the overall general process.

1) Rig the boat, raise the mast, and get all fenders and lines ready.
2) Line up and backup to the top of the ramp on level ground.
3) Block the trailer tires, jack up, unhitch, and unplug power.
4) Move the vehicle forward
5) Remove/unbolt the two pins (rear and forward) and safety lock pin.
6) Slide out hitch
7) Replace two pins (both forward as safety lock not needed)
8) Backup vehicle and re hitch.
9) remove trailer blocks and proceed to launch.

To prevent the extend-a-hitch's tube from rattling when towing we use both a rear and forward pin.

This summer I'll take some pictures of it for you but basically it like the following, but the tube slides "within" the trailer tube and not stored underneath. Chains are on the extend a hitch, not like this example photo.

Hey Dennis try this shorter version? Stow in the trunk with the regular ball and receiver. Looks to be about feet 4 feet long. Say I hope this guys doesn't blow a fuse. Don't know what type of boat he had either?

Page 6 of 7 « First<34567>

Moderator:  Dave V 
Hop to: