Page 32 of 32 « First<2829303132
Topic Options
#19295 - 08/28/17 11:02 PM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Mark S]
Mark S Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Shelburne Ontario
Finally had a sail today. Really happy with the dark blue hull. Everything went very well but keel is still sticking.

20170828_153503 by Mark Skorski, on Flickr

#19297 - 08/29/17 08:50 AM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Mark S]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

Beautiful! And now, functional too!

The interior is phenomenal. I love it.

Interesting detail: when the locker covers are in their proper place, the finger holes are at the wrong side. My old 'Piper had that problem too. I fixed it by drilling a new hand slot along the inboard edge of the plywood cover. Isn't that curious?

#19298 - 08/29/17 10:26 AM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Sandpaper]
Mark S Offline
enthusiast

Hey Sandpiper never noticed the finger holes being on the wrong side. I guess I could just flip them over and switch sides for each cover and I would be good to go.
#19300 - 08/29/17 11:21 AM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Mark S]
kenn Offline
old hand

Loc: Toronto ON
What a beautiful boat.

If the keel doesn't get any easier or doesn't stop sticking, let it dry for a couple weeks after the end of sailing season and try again. If it's now easier and not sticking, you may have a small problem with the keel swelling when it's wet.

I had that a little bit (even after removing the marine growth mentioned in the other keel thread), and when I was able to jack up the trailer and let the keel descend fully, I found that the front and back seams on the keel skin were opening in places. I epoxied up the seams where I could get at them, and the keel hasn't had any binding since.

#19303 - 08/29/17 04:23 PM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: kenn]
Mark S Offline
enthusiast

Thanks for the compliment Ken. I ended up painting all the teak wood white as it was in bad shape and weathered. I must admit it looked a lot better than I thought it would. I also replaced the teak rub rail with rubber which looks O.K. I ended up installing a black rubber track with a small white insert. When I look at it now I wish I used a black insert. One mistake I did make was I did not pull and stretch rubber track enough when installing and there is a bit of ripple where each screw is located. I had somebody pulling the rubber track when I fastened in place but don't think it was stretched nearly enough. You really have to pull and have your full weight into it . You need to soak rail in very warm water for 20 mins to make it more pliable. I think I might have been a bit slow in the whole process making it more difficult. Also when fastening screws with drill in some spots tiny pieces of rubber came away. If I had the black insert you would not even notice but with the white insert it stands out a bit more. Should have greased up drill bit and screw driver bit before installing the screws. But overall I am definitely happy with the outcome and I would do it again. I will post some close up pictures of rub rail shortly.
#19304 - 08/29/17 04:36 PM Re: Sandpiper 565 Restoral [Re: Mark S]
Mark S Offline
enthusiast

I am definitely going to lift boat off trailer this fall so I can pull trailer forward a few inches so I can lower keel. The keel was in great shape and I was easily able to get it up and down except for after I painted it with antifouling paint. Stupid me let paint try for a couple days raised keel up and then took boat off cradle back onto trailer as I was so excited to go sailing. Never thought in a million years paint would stick enough so heavy keel would not fall. When I come to think of it I also patched a few deep scratched and imperfections so maybe they are grabbing as well even though I did a good sanding job. Goods news is keel goes down with enough knocking of the keel box so all is not lost. I did notice after sail keel went up very smoothly with greased screw and new bearing kit.

Edited by Mark S (08/29/17 04:37 PM)

Page 32 of 32 « First<2829303132

Moderator:  Dave V 
Hop to: