Page 9 of 13 « First<7891011>Last »
Topic Options
#19219 - 08/01/17 09:22 PM Re: Rendezvous 2017 [Re: Sorcerer]
Sorcerer Offline
crew

Sandpaper, Nice idea to convoy. However, we will be driving up to St Ignace on Aug 11 for a family fishing trip in Canada. We will leave Sorcerer at a friend's place in St Ignace for later retrieval (Thanks for the storage offer Neil). So, we won't be able to convoy, but others may be interested.
#19220 - 08/01/17 09:59 PM Re: Rendezvous 2017 [Re: Sorcerer]
Sorcerer Offline
crew

Hi All,

I have sorted through the forum and emails in an effort to tally up confirmed attendees for the Rendezvous. I came up with 8 boats:

Sorcerer
Little Wave
Sail Inn
Pipe dream
Lake Effect
Latis
Sapphire
Trouble

This is the same number as Bob's tally from July 19; however, I don't know if he was counting the same boats. Please let me know if there are any discrepancies. Also, if you have not emailed me the registration information that was requested on the web page indicated in the previous post, please consider doing so. It is helpful to have the full information.

#19235 - 08/09/17 07:36 AM Re: Rendezvous 2017 [Re: Sorcerer]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

Hessel Weather by Sandpaper, on Flickr

Cool, but sunny. Take a few extra layers and a spare blanket. There will be a heavy dew INSIDE the boats. Instead of cold beer, you may want to consider hot cider . . . ??

Sorry about the C-temperaures. I forgot to convert back to F-degrees for the pagans.

#19236 - 08/09/17 11:17 AM Re: Rendezvous 2017 [Re: Sandpaper]
Little Wave Offline
enthusiast

[quote=Sandpaper] ... Hessel Weather, ... Cool, but sunny. Take a few extra layers and a spare blanket. There will be a heavy dew INSIDE the boats. Instead of cold beer, you may want to consider hot cider . . . ?? [quote]

Typical Northern Ontario/Michigan Weather zone once you cross the Mackinaw bridge, you folks are all spoiled living down south in the Heat zone. When its cool there is more wind, as when its too hot up here winds tend to be low.

This weekend/week is calling for more rain which means the skies will be clear and empty for the Rendezvous with good sailing weather. \:D

Hey Bob, do your anti-rain dance before you come, your tack record of arriving with the rain is kind of high (2015, 2016).

Mark better bring some bug repellant with him when he goes fishing way up north in Superior. I hear rumors that the mosquitoes are so big that that they mate with the deer. \:o

Anyways we are looking forward to seeing you all together at the Rendezvous.

And do remember that on Monday the 21st when you go home that there is a national solar eclipse and not to look up (directly) at the sun in the afternoon.

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/maps.htm#

#19237 - 08/09/17 01:38 PM Re: Rendezvous 2017 [Re: Little Wave]
Little Wave Offline
enthusiast

FYI, I received a private email today from Leandre Vachon, which I will repost here to inform everyone. His offer sounds quite interesting for a possible 2018 Rendezvous location.

Leandre writes...

"I will not be attending the 2017 Sandpiper Rendezvous. But I am offering to organize a 2018 Rendezvous in Lacolle Quebec.

The Marina Sieur de Champlain is located on the Richelieu River and about two kilometers from the Canadian / USA border.

It would be same weekend in August 17, 18, 19 and 20th. The renting of docking space at the marina is considered necessary for safety reasons (lack of sheltered bay and the water current at this part of the river.

Boat registration certificate is required to cross into the US by water on the Richelieu River. Passport identification is must for all persons at both Canadian and US custom office. Since 2013, I have crossed a few times during each boating periods, but was inspected by a US sheriff only one time. Since I had all the required safety equipment on board there were no consequence. I am told the fines can be heavy.

I am a member of the Point au Fer sailing club located on at Rouses-Point on the US side of the border. The club normally holds a sailboat race on Saturday that same weekend. If members of the group are interested I could see if we could be invited to participate as guest group.

For your consideration".

Len Vachon

#19239 - 08/10/17 07:46 AM Re: Rendezvous 2017 [Re: Little Wave]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

Has there been any discussion about charts for the Rendezvous?

#19241 - 08/11/17 08:52 AM Re: Rendezvous 2017 [Re: Sandpaper]
LeewardLauren Offline
stranger

Mark is printing charts for the fleet now on waterproof paper. See everyone soon!
#19245 - 08/13/17 09:03 PM Re: Rendezvous 2017 [Re: LeewardLauren]
Dave V Administrator Offline
Administrator
enthusiast

Loc: Fort Erie, ON
Well, the cat is out of the bag, one of Michigan's biggest super center chains, Meijer, is sponsoring the Rendezvous this year, supplying $800.00 USD in gift cards to the fleet as well as Meijer flags to fly during the event....

More info here Meijer Announcement

Thanks to Ken N. for working with me to make this happen, and also to Mark and Lauren on planning the event.

Fair winds to the S565 fleet in the UP!

Dave

#19247 - 08/14/17 06:55 AM Re: Rendezvous 2017 [Re: Dave V]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

Wow! That is incredible! Thank-you Meijer! Thank-you Dave and Ken!

This year's Rendezvous may be the very best ever.

I do have a couple of questions.
  • Do the Canadian crews need a Green Card in order to collect the US$100 gift cards?
  • Do we have to declare the payments at the border?
  • Do we have to include the payments on our 2017 income taxes?
  • Will this change our ISAF classifications from "Category 1 - Amateur" to "Category 3 - Professional"?
  • Is this going to jeopardize our Olympic campaign (currently pending approval of the Sandpiper as an Olympic racing class)?

Thanks again Meijer! First class, for sure.

Sapphire's crew will be stopping at Meijer Sault Ste Marie to provision for the Rendezvous.

#19248 - 08/15/17 06:59 PM Re: Rendezvous 2017 [Re: Sandpaper]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

Ready To Go by Sandpaper, on Flickr

Sapphire is all but ready to hit the road. She just needs to be hauled and to have her mast set down. Oh, and I hope to scrub her bum before we start the long trek. She has a serious bathtub ring.

Check out the pulpit. It's installed and looking quite exquisite.

One night on the road, a stop at Meijer for "A Rewards Program As Mighty As You", then on to Hessel.

See ya there.

Page 9 of 13 « First<7891011>Last »

Moderator:  Dave V 
Hop to: