Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#19395 - 11/09/17 08:40 AM Re: Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18 [Re: Shortwave]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

That is super news! It will be great to have a Canadian sailor in the Vendee.
The next race starts November 8, 2020. That is 3* years from yesterday.
There will be a whole new generation of boats by then. The Canadian boat will be an underdog, for sure.

* Not 2 years as originally calculated. My guzintas are a little rusty.

Edited by Sandpaper (11/09/17 08:44 AM)
Edit Reason: Wrong year calculation.

#19421 - 12/08/17 06:37 AM Re: Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18 [Re: Sandpaper]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

The Cape Town In-Port race will stream live starting a few minutes before 7:00 EST this morning. The start of Leg 3 will be Sunday morning at the same time.

Enjoy!

#19439 - 12/28/17 07:11 AM Re: Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18 [Re: Sandpaper]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

The race fleet is in Melbourne, Australia. It's a short lay over, so there is no In-Port Race. However, the fleet departs from Melbourne at 14:00 (Melbourne time) on January 2. That means the race will stream live starting at 9:50pm EST on January 1.

If your New Year's resolution is to watch more high-performance sailing on the internet, then you can satisfy that on the very first evening of the year. Connect to the Volvo Ocean Race homepage for all the excitement.

Maybe you will be testing that new smart TV you bought on Boxing Day!

#19443 - 01/01/18 09:51 PM Re: Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18 [Re: Sandpaper]
Shortwave Offline
old hand

I noticed that a number of the boats set up their asymetrical spinnakers so the sheets pass forward of the luff, not behind the luff. I haven't flown many asymetrical chutes but they have all sheeted behind the luff like you would do with a jib.
Sheeting forward makes a lot of sense though; nothing gets tangled and the likely hood of it running away from you on a jibe because it can luff straight forward. One drawback is it is easier for the sheets to drop in front of the bow and then go under the hull. The Volvo racers seemed to have remedied the problem by taping a short stick or even a spoon right off the tack so the lines stop on top of it.
I guess the other thing is you might need slightly longer sheets.
Any body flown an asymetrical spinnaker this way?

D'Arcy, Shortwave

#19445 - 01/06/18 09:10 AM Re: Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18 [Re: Shortwave]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

D'Arcy you must have stayed up late to watch the entire broadcast! I was having problems connecting and staying connected to the video. I had to frequently refresh the browser, and even re-start my computer to unfreeze the video. I retired when they ended the first phase of the broadcast. The fleet was mostly on a starboard tack heading to Mark #2.

I've seen the boats gybe with the sheets inboard and with the sheets outboard. We have flown The Big Honkin' Sail on Sapphire. We rigged the sheets inboard. I can't offer any comments about the pros and cons of either set-up.

If you find a consensus, post it here. It will make good reading.

It's so cold that I intend to spend the day in the basement. I'm trying to countersink #10 holes in stainless steel. That's a character-building experience.

Did you ride your bike this week?

#19447 - 01/07/18 12:35 AM Re: Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18 [Re: Sandpaper]
Shortwave Offline
old hand

There are a lot of variables in choosing where to have your asymetrical spinnaker sheets. The Volvo racers can fly two additional jibs along with their asymetrical chute so there isn't much room between the farthest forward jib and the tack of the chute. Having the sheets to the outside is a safer bet because there is less chance of things snagging.. It's also easier to do an outside gybe in heavy weather. It's a slower manoeuvre but these guys aren't involved in big gybing duels or multiple mark rounding where speed is of the essence.
If you have a long extending pole then inside sheeting would be better suited because there is room for the spinnaker to pass through. As mentioned it's also faster and your sheets don't have to be as long. Continuous sheeting would also help shorten sheet lengths.
On a Sandpiper I think I'd go with outside sheeting as the tack of the chute would most likely be attached at the pulpit so there's not a lot of room on the inside. Also, because usually there are only two crew, you would want an easier manoeuvre even if it takes a bit longer.
I can't see using an asymetrical spinnaker in heavy weather on a Sandpiper because the boats achieve maximum hull speed with a reefed main and jib alone. However, in lighter winds the extra spread of canvas could easily give you an extra knot or two.
And yes, I'm still riding. Here's a view of the moon over T.O at sunset, taken on New Year's Eve. The lakes a little too cold for a sail right now, but it won't be long.
[img]http://[/img]

D'Arcy, Shortwave

#19448 - 01/07/18 08:20 AM Re: Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18 [Re: Shortwave]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

Hey D'Arcy, great commentary about sheeting the asymmetrical. The suggestions for flying the big sail on a Sandpiper are invaluable.

But you know what? I think you might be bull-sheeting us about when the photo was taken. Are you sure it was New Year's Eve?

#19449 - 01/07/18 12:57 PM Re: Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18 [Re: Sandpaper]
Shortwave Offline
old hand

You're right Dennis, I stand corrected, it was the day before New Year's Eve. Still really cold though. The winds have been tricky because they've been very gusty. Just before Christmas, Lynda and I were nearly swept off the lakeshore bike trail in a gust while riding downtown. On the positive side, when the wind was behind us we were averaging 22km/hr while barely peddling.
We opted to take the inner city route home, tacking west then north; using buildings as a windbreak. (Everything I know I learned sailing.)
I've had several good evening rides in 2018 as well.
D'Arcy, Shortwave

#19477 - 02/02/18 05:33 AM Re: Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18 [Re: Shortwave]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

I am so confused.

The In-Port Race from Guangzhou, China will be at 1500 local time. But due to "technical limitations" it will be broadcast "as live" 8 hours later on the Volvo Ocean Race website (or maybe Facebook??!! I dunno). By my calculation, using a time conversion app on the internet, it translates to 11:00 EST on Saturday morning. Of course, I've been screwed up before and I could be off by exactly 24 hours.

Figure it out for yourself. There may be a race, sometime in China, to be broadcast at some later time, from some website. Enjoy!

Edited by Sandpaper (02/02/18 05:34 AM)
Edit Reason: "Post Already Exists"

#19607 - 03/11/18 08:24 AM Re: Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18 [Re: Sandpaper]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

The Auckland In-Port Race was streamed live Friday evening starting at 8:00 EST. I had completely forgotten, but was able to catch the last leg and a bit.

The race had been held in light and dying winds. Here is a cool observation.
The boat weighs in at 12,500kg in its measurement trim. And yet, it made sense to put crew on the bow to get the transom out of the water.
Get the transom out of the water!! Now there is something that a Sandpiper can learn from a 70-foot racer.

Screen Shot From VolvoOceanRace.com by Sandpaper, on Flickr

The start of Leg 7 will be streamed starting at 8:00pm EDT on St. Patrick's Day. It might be something to put on your calendar.

Green beer and sailboat racing. Good combination.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Dave V 
Hop to: