Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#19488 - 02/15/18 10:36 AM Towing your Sandpiper
Jacques Offline
crew

Loc: Gatineau, Québec, Canada
Hi all!

What do you use to tow your Sandpiper? I own a Kia Soul. Can I tow my Sandpiper safely with that or should I look for a SUV? Thanks.

#19492 - 02/15/18 02:15 PM Re: Towing your Sandpiper [Re: Jacques]
piperman Offline
veteran

Loc: Montréal
I have a minivan with a V6 (Ford Windstar) And I can feel the boat when accelerating or braking

Do you know about the towing limits of you Kia? I don't think it can really pull all that weight.
Mari-Bell #154
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~

#19493 - 02/18/18 09:28 AM Re: Towing your Sandpiper [Re: piperman]
Jacques Offline
crew

Towing is not recommanded by the manufacturer so I guess I'll have to find something else. Its a drag having to borrow a friend's vehicle every time but the sailing is worth it.
#19504 - 02/27/18 09:52 AM Re: Towing your Sandpiper [Re: Jacques]
Brent Offline
stranger

I tow my Sandpiper with a Pontiac Vibe which has a towing capacity of 1500lbs...but by towing, I mean I move the sailboat from its parking spot to the ramp, 100 meters away.
I would likely rent a vehicle if I was hauling the boat any great distance.

#19594 - 03/03/18 07:37 AM Re: Towing your Sandpiper [Re: Brent]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

Like this?

We left Peterborough early on a Sunday morning to avoid traffic, and we hauled the stripped-out Sandpiper to Mazinaw Lake. We only ever got into 6th gear on the downhills, and we went right down into the granny-gears to climb the more steep hills. It wasn't the best tow vehicle for this load. Imagine the work if we had the boat and the Vibe loaded for cruising.

#19596 - 03/07/18 03:45 PM Re: Towing your Sandpiper [Re: Sandpaper]
Brent Offline
stranger

Yes just like this..but I any have a 1.8 engine to pull.
#19599 - 03/08/18 10:49 PM Re: Towing your Sandpiper [Re: Brent]
Shortwave Online   content
old hand

Used to tow Shortwave with a Toyota Sienna. Worked well except front wheel drive would skid when driving up steep launch ramps.
We now have a Volvo XC-70. With all wheel drive and heavy weight of the car it is incredibly stable.
Here we are getting ready fo Lake Mazinaw Sailabration.

[img]http://[/img]

D'Arcy, Shortwave

#19600 - 03/09/18 08:10 PM Re: Towing your Sandpiper [Re: Shortwave]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

D'Arcy, that Volvo wagon is a sweet mule. I have Volvo envy.

Brent, the Vibe in the photo was also a 1.8L. It was a Vibe GT, which I think meant that it had windshield wipers AND a cigarette lighter. I wouldn't recommend such a small vehicle for towing a 'Piper.

#19602 - 03/10/18 11:11 AM Re: Towing your Sandpiper [Re: Sandpaper]
Jacques Offline
crew

Well, I had to bite the bullet and get something that could tow my Piper. Got a used Kia Sportage. According to the manufacturer, it's capable of towing 2000lb. It should do the trick, I hope. Time will tell.
#19608 - 03/12/18 04:30 AM Re: Towing your Sandpiper [Re: Jacques]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

Beware of Scope Creep. It can sneak up on you.

The example that was recited to me involved a woodstove. Harry owned a woodlot, so he decided that he would cut wood to help heat his house. He already had a pick-up truck (just in case his wife phoned him at work and asked him to bring home a bale of straw, or a diesel generator). He bought a new chainsaw, but decided that he would also need a 4-wheeler plus a trailer to haul behind the 4-wheeler. The ATV would fit into the box of the pick-up, but the pick-up would be full of firewood, so he needed a highway trailer for the ATV and its trailer. Harry bought a gas-powered wood splitter, to save his back. He built a woodshed, plus a garage to get the 4-wheeler out of the weather. With fuel for the pick-up, the chainsaw, the splitter, and the 4-wheeler, plus road coffees and other assorted wood-cutting beverages, the money saved on electric heat should balance sometime in 2108.

Harry's wife now gets hot flashes and won't let him make a fire in the woodstove. Harry bought a Sandpiper and now enjoys sailing whenever he can.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Dave V 
Hop to: