Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#19500 - 02/26/18 03:22 PM Re: Winter Projects [Re: Sandpaper]
Little Wave Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Sandpaper
Windy Island sent me the link to this old thread about jiffy reefing. Check it out!

This modified single-line reefing system hauls the clew down first, and then the tack. The advantage, is that the clew is usually the harder corner to pull down with the traditional single-line system.

Windy Island's technique is rather clever, I think.

Fig 1. Is same basic setup that we have been using for 9 years now and we can from the tiller, cockpit, or foredeck, put in a reef under sail with or without turning the boat into the wind, in less then 10 to 20 seconds. We also have two reef lines always set-up and recommend having them highly. (let main out some, pull reef, pull main up).

The old saying "When you think about putting a reef in its too late". Nope only takes me a few seconds.

Sure the mast end tightens slightly more but all you do is lift up your arm and pull forward a few inches of line and its tight at the boom end. With our small sail size is not much of a problem. I just use 2 blocks per reef per boom with the third being a swinging block and cleet combo on the lower mast.

The Fig 1 picture use 4 blocks and Fig 2 uses 5 blocks, and uses both sides of the boom whereas my configuration one side of the boom is for each reef line.

#19503 - 02/26/18 07:27 PM Re: Winter Projects [Re: Little Wave]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

If you need some inspiration for winter projects, check this website for the 100-foot CQS.

CQS Sailing - Sydney to Hobart 2016

#19595 - 03/07/18 11:08 AM Re: Winter Projects [Re: Sandpaper]
ZacheryB Offline
stranger

Amazing photo. What's that yellow thing in the water? I'm a bit confused. Forgive my ignorance.
#19597 - 03/08/18 06:01 PM Re: Winter Projects [Re: ZacheryB]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

ZacheryB, welcome to the forum! It's good to have you join us. Do you have a CL? What model? What sail number?

The appendage you are seeing is some kind foil that helps to lift the boat out of the water. Pretty cool, eh? Here's another view of a different boat.

Photo Credit: segelreporter.com

Are you considering one for your boat?

#19598 - 03/08/18 10:27 PM Re: Winter Projects [Re: Sandpaper]
Shortwave Online   content
old hand

That's right guys, the foils provide lift. Doesn't lift the boat right out of the water like some lighter foiling boats but the partial lift still really decreases drag.
Virbac has a foil on each side; you can see the windward one above the water (black). The orange tip of the leeward foil is just barely visible above the water on the port side of the boat.
Also note the canting keel.
What's interesting about CQS is that I believe it only has one foil that slides through the hull from side to side like a dagger board. A double sided sliding foil of sorts.

D'Arcy, Shortwave

#19601 - 03/10/18 10:37 AM Re: Winter Projects [Re: Shortwave]
old hand

Here's CQR going to weather at Sail Mazinaw. You can just see the tip of the starboard foil because the whole wing has been slid down to the leeward side.
This could work on a Sandpiper; not so much for lift, but for adding more lateral resistance to help the shallow keel.
Or, move the foil to weather on the reaches and you got yourself a sliding seat where you can control the boat from outside the rail. (Wearing a Hugo Boss suit of course!)

[img]http://[/img]

D'Arcy, Shortwave

#19609 - 03/13/18 05:57 AM Re: Winter Projects [Re: Shortwave]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

I'm now watching for double-digit temperatures in the weather forecast. If they appear on the horizon of the 14-day outlook,
I'll be getting ready for some epoxy work.

Wait for it . . . wait for it . . .

#19611 - 03/18/18 09:07 AM Re: Winter Projects [Re: Sandpaper]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

What do sailors do in the off-season? Some of us ski.
Here is the crew of Windy Island enjoying a toast of green beer with the crew from Sapphire.

Happy St. Patty's Day!

Green Beer by Sandpaper, on Flickr

#19613 - 03/20/18 07:59 AM Re: Winter Projects [Re: Sandpaper]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

Winter will officially end today at 12:15pm EDT. Winter projects will now have to become spring projects.

The countdown is on.

#19615 - 03/23/18 09:52 AM Re: Winter Projects [Re: kenn]
old hand

We've taken the tarp of Shortwave and on a somewhat warm day have cleaned her all up, preparing our jaunty little boat for another multi-modal quest.
We're planning to trailer to Fort Walton Beach, east of Pensicola. Found an old 50s motel to stay at and it has a dock where we can tie up Shortwave. So, with a little luck we could be having a lovely Easter Sail on the Gulf of Mexico.

Sleeping aboard Shortwave should be truly luxurious now because we have replaced the old wrestling mats with real cushions. They're very comfortable.

I cut 7" off our tiller which will give us more room when tacking and make it easier to steer when sitting back in the cockpit on windy surfing conditions. Epoxied the cut end so it matches the nice shiny finish the rest of the tiller has.

As previously mentioned the new rudder swings up a full 180 degrees which will be very helpful when. Avigating the shallow waters of North Florida.

Here's a picture of the new rudder next to. Our old one.

D'Arcy, Shortwave

[img]http://[/img]

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  Dave V 
Hop to: