Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#4231 - 07/10/09 12:13 AM My first sandpiper sighting
Sea Wolf Offline
journeyman

Loc: Winnipeg Manitoba
After how many years of being on this form and reading about sandpipers and the affection with which their owners speak, I finally spotted one in the water moving. What a thrill, I thought I would have to travel to Ontario from Manitoba to see a sandpiper that was alive. I have spotted one on a trailer and one that was parked at the dock for two years but now I can feel a part of the pack. I have to say I did not see it for long as I was crewing on a Hunter 28.5 in a race but it looked good and I hope to beg a ride on it at some point. As a cl16 owner I have to say I have enjoyed the camaraderie of the piper family. Have a great summer and maybe I'll spot you.

#4241 - 07/11/09 11:00 PM Re: My first sandpiper sighting [Re: Sea Wolf]
Tailpiper Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mazinaw Lake
Jo and I also spotted a Sandpiper. But this one was on the Trans-Canada Highway about 70km west of Dryden heading west towards Kenora at about 11:30 Central time Saturday morning. It had a dark blue hull. Was that one of our e-fleet?

It was brutally windy from the Manitoba border to Wawa. Somebody may have had a fantastic sail.

#4242 - 07/12/09 12:39 PM Re: My first sandpiper sighting [Re: Tailpiper]
BadMoon Offline
old hand

I was siting at anchor off of 50Pt beach on Friday when along came a Sandpiper. They had seen me go past and thought that they would drop by to say a quick hello, I never caught their names, the Piper was dark blue with a white top Sail #323. That number rings a bell for some reason?

#4243 - 07/12/09 05:30 PM Re: My first sandpiper sighting [Re: BadMoon]
Sandude Offline
enthusiast

Isn't sail no. 323 WINDY ISLAND?
#4244 - 07/12/09 09:27 PM Re: My first sandpiper sighting [Re: Sandude]
Windy Island Offline

Loc: LaPasse, Ontario
Oh yeah, Wndy is Sail # 323. Windy Island and crew had a great sail this weekend on the Ottawa River averaging 4 to 5.4 knots.
#4245 - 07/13/09 12:42 AM Re: My first sandpiper sighting [Re: Windy Island]
D'Arcy Offline
addict

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
We spotted a Sandpiper launching at the Village of Rosseau ramp. The new owner had watched the Rosseau Raid fleet launch and was impressed enough to start researching the boat. We gave him our email and contact numbers. Sandpipers are a fantastic Lake Rosseau boat.

D'Arcy, Shortwave

#4246 - 07/13/09 04:41 AM Re: My first sandpiper sighting [Re: Windy Island]
Tailpiper Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mazinaw Lake
 Originally Posted By: Windy Island
Oh yeah, Wndy is Sail # 323. Windy Island and crew had a great sail this weekend on the Ottawa River averaging 4 to 5.4 knots.

Windy, what are the details of that? Were you whitewater 'Piping again?

Jo and I are back home from our trans-continental drive. We watched for Sandpipers everywhere we saw sailboats. Here is the harbour at Departure Bay BC. Not a 'Piper in the bunch.

#4248 - 07/13/09 11:55 AM Re: My first sandpiper sighting [Re: Windy Island]
BadMoon Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: Windy Island

Hold the phone, if Windy was up in Ottawa on the weekend who was I talking with on Lake Ontario at Stoney Creek on Friday evening?

Maybe I have the number wrong, jeeezzzz you would think I would pay more attention.

I watched him sail for a while but I lost him when he disappeared into the lake mist.

#4249 - 07/13/09 12:56 PM Re: My first sandpiper sighting [Re: BadMoon]
Sandude Offline
enthusiast

Whoooaa....

Stealth sail numbers, strangers on the lake, an alias on the Ottawa River, Ship disappearing into the mist.... I tellya, sounds like we got a book brewing in there somewhere.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Dave V 
Hop to: