Custom Search
Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#6058 - 03/25/10 04:39 PM Wayfarer Centerboard
Ben Normand Offline
stranger

Hello All,
A few weeks back I was referred to the Wayfarer International website to find a plan to make a new centerboard (thanks Don!). My boat is on a trailer and I cannot get the existing CB out to take measurements. Can I trust that if I build a CB to the exact dimensions for the wayfarer CB, it will fit properly? As you all can imagine, I don't want to go through this project and find that the CB does not fit. Thanks.

Ben Normand

#6059 - 03/25/10 04:51 PM Re: Wayfarer Centerboard [Re: Ben Normand]
Ben Normand Offline
stranger

Edit.....
I just reviewed the cl16 manual and the pictures they show of the CB does not look like an exact match to the wayfarer version. So my question changes, does anyone have a profile of the centerboard with measurements?

Thanks

#6063 - 03/25/10 07:45 PM Re: Wayfarer Centerboard [Re: Ben Normand]
bob g Offline

Loc: flint,mi.
ben, it is a very easy job to roll the hull off the trailer on the lawn and then roll it up on a rail(i've done it a number of times. you can even rig the mast up and use it as a lever to keep it rolled over. (and it won't turtle on the lawn,hehe). then you can crawl around on all 4's and remove the pivot bolt and pull the cb.
be sure to wear a life jacket when you roll any boat over.

#6108 - 03/28/10 03:41 PM Re: Wayfarer Centerboard [Re: bob g]
Ben Normand Offline
stranger

Got the centerboard out today. Now its time to make a new one.
#6112 - 03/28/10 04:47 PM Re: Wayfarer Centerboard [Re: Ben Normand]
Stormceptor Offline
journeyman

Ben,

Good luck on the rebuild and please let us know how it goes.
CL 16 #2470 Dipper

#6221 - 04/05/10 08:22 PM Re: Wayfarer Centerboard [Re: Stormceptor]
Snowman Offline
crew

Ben,

How is the CB going? I would be interested to hear some of the key steps and see your progress. Have you got a blog or photo log anywhere?

I am faced with doing the same with my CL16. I really should have done it last winter, but - I have so many excuses... The biggest being I no longer have a heated shop (or even a shop area which is not a multi-function area). All I have left is a single car garage, with two cars, no storage shed, and, well, you get the picture.

Perhaps your progress and techniques may motivate me.

Snowman

#6231 - 04/06/10 10:26 AM Re: Wayfarer Centerboard [Re: Snowman]
Ben Normand Offline
stranger

Snowman,

I bought 100% merranti plywood from a supplier out of Boston last week. As luck would have it, the plywood comes in 2' x 8' sheets so I had the supplier cut the piece down into a 2'x 5' and a 2'x3'. The 2'x5' is the centerboard and the 2'x3' is a new rudder (actuallly enough for 2 new rudders). I was not planning to make a new rudder this year but with the extra wood, I figured why not.
Over the weekend I outlined the template for the CB and rudder on the plywood and used a jigsaw to cut the shapes. Once I had the shapes finished, I used a palm sander to bevel the edges. Unfortunately, the palm sander takes forever to make that sharp trailing edge but this boat is just a pleasure cruiser so I'm not too fanatic about a perfect knife edge.
Now, I am preparing the drill the pivot bolt holes. Since I am in the midst of my work week, progress is slow which is fine since the pivot bolt hole needs to be well thought through. I am going to use a pvc bushing for the pivot bolt to run through. The idea is that the centerboard will rotate on the bushing. The bushing will remain fixed with the pivot bolt running through the center with rubber and metal washers inside the hull. This way the pivot bolt and washers can be tightened onto the pvc bushing and the centerboard is left to swing. I am not sure if that is the proper way to build the system but I think it will work.
The next big step is to epoxy the plywood. I am going to a demo at a local lumber yard on thursday where there will be a westsystems rep showing off the products. I'm hoping to get some tips there and do the epoxy work this coming weekend. Hopefully by sunday afternoon I will be all wrapped up.
If anyone reading this has advice, please let me know. I am really winging this whole project, picking up tips as I go. Hopefully I will be posting pictures when I am finished.

Ben Normand
cl16#2520

#6411 - 04/22/10 09:11 PM Re: Wayfarer Centerboard [Re: Ben Normand]
Stormceptor Offline
journeyman

Ben,

How is the centerboard project going?
CL 16 #2470 Dipper

#6600 - 05/14/10 02:49 PM Re: Wayfarer Centerboard [Re: Stormceptor]
Ben Normand Offline
stranger

The centeboard and rudder are finished. I tried to get photos up on the forum but couldn't figure out how to do it. Trying to get the boat in the water this Sunday for a sail. If the centerboard and rudder splinter off, I know I screwed up.

Ben

#6614 - 05/16/10 03:39 PM Re: Wayfarer Centerboard [Re: Ben Normand]
Cap'n Rob Offline

Loc: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Best of luck buddy!!!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Chris L 
Hop to: