Page 4 of 4 <1234
Topic Options
#19628 - 04/14/18 06:40 PM Re: Winter Projects [Re: Shortwave]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

Need inspiration for a winter project? Check out this hull that just came out of the shed. It is a Carkeek Fast 40+.

A pail of epoxy, some fibreglass, a can of paint, and your boat could look like that, right?

#19670 - 05/31/18 08:04 AM Re: Winter Projects [Re: Sandpaper]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

You may recall that last fall I had to use brute force to get the tiller to disengage from the rudder. So before the season starts, I am adjusting the fit of the tiller into the socket and repairing the blemishes left by the remover-persuader. (It's all Ken's fault.)

Another little project involved adding a fitting to the rudder head. Those 2 little holes represent about 2 hours of engineering and layout and drilling.

Everything should get a coat of red paint this morning. I hope to be sailing on the weekend. The boat is in the water waiting for a rudder and a mast.

Rudder Project by Sandpaper, on Flickr

#19673 - 06/04/18 07:14 AM Re: Winter Projects [Re: Sandpaper]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

Short Pintle by Sandpaper, on Flickr

It looks like a "Vancouver Island morning".

Here is something you may consider to be clever. Do you find it hard to hang over the transom and to hook the top pintle and the lower gudgeon at the exact same time? Have you had to do it while the boat is swinging around a mooring or in a chop? Well, Sapphire's pintle has now been cut shorter. This will allow me to engage the lower gudgeon and then drop in the top pintle, one at a time.

The modification does not detract from the strength of the rudder hardware. Once engaged, the tip of the pintle had no function.

Something to think about.

Page 4 of 4 <1234

Moderator:  Dave V 
Hop to: