Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#19610 - 03/13/18 09:13 AM Re: Towing your Sandpiper [Re: Sandpaper]
Little Wave Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Sandpaper
Beware of Scope Creep. It can sneak up on you.

That gave me a quite chuckle!

We used to use a chainsaw, cut the logs up and roll the butts up a ramp into the back of a van. Then at home used an axe and a wheelbarrow to cut and pile it all. A few years later dad build his own design of a wood splitter (the wood splitter could even roll into the van when needed) but that was 45 years ago and dad often said he should have patented it.

We heated the house with a home made wood stove (transformer barrel) for 18 years that heated 2 hot water systems; one that was pumped into a homemade heat exchanger that rested just above the oil furnace burner (just the air fan was used) and then into two 80 gallon tanks, and the second system into a third 80 gallon tank that that preheated all the hot water before it went into the electric hot water tank for the house/showers.

Man we never ever worried about hot water for showers or washing machine (yes the hot cycle was used) and forget about those flow reducing spay heads now that everyone uses.

An average winter used about 12 cords of wood. Dad use to grin and hide 20 dollar bills under some of the butts to encourage us to split and pile more. 20 bucks back then bought a lot like what like a 100 bucks buys now. \:D

Now if Dad had todays technology the amount of wood needed would be allot less.

Dad sold his stove off when he was older and his heath was less switching to natural gas, but his stove is still alive and working today heating a fellows indoor swimming pool across town.

#19664 - 05/28/18 09:30 AM Re: Towing your Sandpiper [Re: Sandpaper]
Kevin Offline
stranger

Loc: Upper Tantallon, NS
I used to tow mine with a '97 Volvo 850 wagon, FWD, non-turbo, 2.4 L automatic.
Just going from home to the local launches was fine, but did make one trek about 2 hrs away. Poor little 5 cylinder screamed for the highway portion of the trip, rarely got into top gear.

I now have a 2013 Ford Flex AWD, 3.5 L, 6 speed auto. Haven't been able to tow the boat far yet but with an extra 1300 lbs and 120 HP it'll be a much less exciting event.

another side benefit is the Flex is wider than the Volvo so I don't have to use extended mirrors while towing.

Kevin Wile
Upper Tantallon NS

#19700 - 07/02/18 10:11 AM Re: Towing your Sandpiper [Re: Kevin]
Jacques Offline
crew

Loc: Gatineau, Québec, Canada
I use my 2014 Sportage to tow my Piper from my home to the marina, about 30 miles away. With 176 hp, the Sportage had no problem even at 60 mph on the highway going uphill.
#19719 - 07/23/18 09:23 PM Re: Towing your Sandpiper [Re: Jacques]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

The Ins And Outs Of Trailering

We were recently pulling Sapphire out of Mazinaw Lake to trailer her to another fantastic sailing venue. But there was more than one complication. Sapphire's pulpit had been removed as part of a winter project (yes, I know that this is July). And with it, the bow ring had been removed. Major oops at the boat ramp.

The crew of Shortwave was nearby. Lynda suggested that the missing bow ring might be replaced by a length of yacht braid. Check it out. It's the Lynda Loop. We were able to winch Sapphire onto her trailer by drawing on this 3/16" line with a bowline knot.

How cool is that?

The pulpit and the bow ring have been reinstalled. Life is good again.

Bow Ring And Lynda Loop Pix by Sandpaper, on Flickr

#19720 - 07/24/18 05:28 PM Re: Towing your Sandpiper [Re: Sandpaper]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

Observation: have you rolled your boat onto its trailer, right up to the bow roller, only to find that you have to winch it another 4" or 5" once the rig is on dry ground? Have you wondered why?

Here is the explanation. The trailer is underwater and is parallel to the pitch of the boat launch, in the range of 10 - 15 degrees below horizontal. But, the boat is floating level at the water surface. Bring the two units to a common level on dry land, and you have a mismatch. It's simple geometry.

Last Saturday, I had to change my 1-7/8" ball to 2" for Sapphire's boat trailer. Instead of installing the ball on the hitch in a semi-rise posture, I opted to install it semi-drop. I'm convinced that the boat floated onto the trailer better than ever (one event is NOT a statistically significant sample). The difference in ball height is in the range of 5"-6". That's a difference of 1 - 2 degrees depending on the launch ramp.

It's true that the trailer looked a little low at the bow on the highway, but I can live with that if it makes launching and retrieving any easier.

Do you need a sketch to follow this discussion?

#19724 - 07/29/18 10:22 PM Re: Towing your Sandpiper [Re: Sandpaper]
Shortwave Offline
old hand

Makes sense Dennis. If you can get the ball lower the trailer will be slightly more horizontal to the floating Sandpiper. Any problem towing a boat that way? Sort of nose down.
D'Arcy, Shortwave

#19725 - 07/31/18 06:54 AM Re: Towing your Sandpiper [Re: Shortwave]
Sandpaper Offline
addict

Hi D'Arcy.

The only side effect was that more rainwater collected in the cockpit. The drain was at the high end of the cockpit while sitting on the trailer. The anchor locker drained well, though.

We didn't experience any fishtailing (Sapphire is heavy on the ball). I don't know if there was any distortion of the boat travelling in ground effect.

The bow-down attitude may be similar to foiling boats in the America's Cup. The speeds were similar: trailering vs foiling.

Foiling by Sandpaper, on Flickr

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Dave V 
Hop to: